Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Topic Rhetorical

Two weeks.  A handfull of days and I'm already sitting here staring at a giant blank white space.  Goals of daily blogging, the mantra of practice, practice, practice, and a non-stop voice in my head that never shuts up is what makes me stretch out and stare... followed by getting to refill my water bottle, and curl up and stare... Shuffle around the sixteen pounds of laundry from a smirking washing machine and a sighing dryer, open the laptop and let the blue-white glow wash my knuckles as they sit quietly, waiting for my brain to assign a chore, as I stare... Spend an hour or two in a vicious hunt of a healthy appetizer to bring to holiday parties (WHY must everything have cream cheese in it?) and return to the journal with pen in hand to doodle little abstract patterns between blogging brainstorms, while I stare.  My years of writing columns for the high school paper prepared me for these days.  Suck it up, swallow the "blehhhhhh" feeling, switch the TV playing a myriad of celebrity perfume commercials to mute, and starting babbling.  At some point or another, a topic will bubble up from the nonsense.  And it's my blog instead of a published column,  so I get to leave the paragraph of babbling before my topic exposes itself. Aren't you the privileged few.  Smiley Face.

Why do I do this?  Why babble, when I have nothing to say? Why fill the white space up and shoot it into cyberspace for my three and a half loyal readers to view?

When I got a call from a mysterious 803 number this morning, and the woman on the other end of the cell phone tower web asked me a question, my reaction was the same as it is now: "... Uuuuhhhhh..."

Being a professional in the communications world, that's ... not good.

The question?  "What's your passion? Where do you want to focus with your career?"

I know the answer.  I've known the answer for well over a year now.  The answer is "military photojournalism."  The answer is "Visual Communications with a purpose." The answer is "Learning how to be the best visual communicator possible." But when a professional of the communications world who has friends in every sector of business in the Southeast pops that particular dotted-squiggly, what's the golden egg answer?

People want to hire someone who is going to stick around, who is going to commit to their company, love working there, enjoy their work so much that they marry it.  They want someone who is so specifically focused in their mission statement that their cubicle is decorated with the logo that writes their checks rather than a bobble head of the Philly Eagles mascot. Which is what I'm willing to do for the Army...  But how do I answer the questions of people who may connect me to potential employers until the Army realizes my unrequited love could be the relationship of a lifetime? Are companies going to be ok with the answer "I just want to be good?"

The blog topic, it seems, is rhetorical.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recommendations by Engageya.com