Friday, November 16, 2012

Professor Professional: Etiquette in the Workplace

You know whenever something big comes up in your life, everybody has their two cents to flip in to the tip jar?  Well, when I was discovering just how unfitted my last job was to me, the tip jar was full, and much like our beloved nation, it was pretty bipartisan.

"Tell them you're unhappy."

"Don't let them know you're having trouble."

"Explain what you want to change."

"Fake a smile. They might fire you if they find out you're looking for another job."

Oy.  So I debated quite a bit and, after some deliberation, decided I should take my own advice - If you're going to complain about something, have the *stuff* to change it. So at my annual review, when I was asked what the company could do for me, I decided to let the boss-man-lady-person know how I felt.  The answer I got, and I quote: "You're either happy here or you find another job."

Well all rightey then.

As a general rule (or at least for me, anyway), we're raised to be honest.  To strive toward being good people, do what we can to do the right thing, "use our words," etc. Then we graduate, get plopped into the pool of the professional world, and it feels like a lot of games.  They toss you into this vicious, clamoring world of lies and deceit and vindictive, immature, malicious people.  Or at least that's how it felt, and I've never even worked in law.  If you're anything like me, your first professional world reaction is something relative to viewing the latest Geico commercial for the first time: "I miss the cavemen."

See, when I worked for the Army and other military branches in college, it obviously had its pin-ups.  It's not exactly a joy to walk onto a training site and have people who are experienced in weaponry glaring at you.  But, for the most part, it's pretty easy to tell who you can confide in, say certain things to.  And, for the most part, you can say something a little tongue-in-cheek without getting an anvil to cranial meet n' greet because, for the most part, military tend to be aware that work sucks sometimes.  You gotta blow off some steam.  You joke around a bit, say an offensive thing or two (depending on what this here rank on their chest is), then you let it go and move on, because, hey, it's better than getting shot at or blown up.  And that's the reality of the military. They know to be thankful for the good days, and they are what made it such an amazing work experience.  Of course, it didn't hurt that I loved that job, so the crappy bits were easy to suck it up and deal with.

When I began working in the civilian world, however... well.  It was a vastly shocking transition.

And since USC didn't offer Office Social Etiquette 101: And You Thought You Were Done With Jr High, I figured sharpening up the social skills by doing some research might be helpful... I really hope it doesn't say I have to drop the sarcasm...

50 Professional Etiquette Tips Every New Grad Should Know: A lot of this seems pretty common sense, but there are a few I was sorry to hear.  No smileys in interoffice e-mail?  That must have been what I was doing wrong... (It doesn't say anything about sarcasm. Smiley Face. )


7 Tips You Won't Find Elsewhere - Obscure, strangely detailed, and probably completely legitimate.

And I'm off to have a wonderful weekend - After I do my 30 minute daily exercise! Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recommendations by Engageya.com