Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Making the Most of Turkey Day


This post is getting snipped short. Partially because there isn't a lot to say for today's topic, and partially because I'm stoked about getting home for Thanksgiving, and I'm far too busy impatiently pacing the apartment while I wait for us to hit the road to spend time tip-typing away.  (Lucky you!)

Yesterday I attempted my first swing at the challenges.  I took my 35mm and - literally - got lost in Augusta.  My aim was downtown and where I ended up was a neighborhood called Olde Town.  I haven't downloaded the shots yet, but as I was shooting, I could tell something was off.  My eye was cloudy, I wasn't focused.  I felt very uncomfortable walking past people pushing carts of blankets and empty cans with my expensive SLR.  So I guess that's something I need to work on.  But, being the perfectionist I am, the plan has been altered to include a nice pep talk and some bouncy music to butter myself up for the next go.  Along with excellent directions.  What I DID learn yesterday: owning a hotel, motel, inn, or lounge in Augusta is not the key to success.  But then again, I might not have been in the best part of town.  Also, cops, much like drill sergeants, don't like a person with a Nikon in tote.  (I doubt they would have any preference if your brand was different.)  Noted.

As for tomorrow's challenge, I did quite a bit of research this morning, and picked up a few tips from the following blogs.  Apparently food photography is more ... basic... than I had originally presumed.  Their tips are mostly "the rule of thirds" and "backlighting" and "don't let it be ugly."  Go figure.  There are still a few interesting tips, though, and I figured I should give credit where credit is due for the brilliance I'll be borrowing tomorrow.

Lastly, I have a lot to be thankful for.  Sometimes I have to slap myself across the face to remind myself what I'm thankful for (like a pretty decent backhand), but I'm proud to say that most days it's not difficult for me to pinpoint the blessings in my life.  Not everyone has even the simplest things.  Did you know that 1 in 6 Americans are hungry?  1 in 5 are children.  Hungry kids are more likely to end up involved with disciplinary issues, health problems, low grades, and diminished self-esteem.  It's a preventative measure to help the 40% plus American families currently below the poverty level to get back on their feet, and prevent crime in the future.  I don't often share my opinions along these lines, but I will today.  If you can, donate to a food pantry, or to the hundreds of hunger drives nation-wide.  If not for you, then for the future.

110904_labordayincharleston_9314

Sources:
Food Portfolio - Food Photography
Digital Photography School: An Introduction to Food Photography
Lunch Box Bunch: 15 Tips for Food Bloggers
Livestrong
APA
World Hunger Org

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recommendations by Engageya.com