Thursday, January 23, 2014

The Critical Compadre

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

I like to revel in the victorious moments.  I enjoy sharing them with the people I love most.  Perhaps that's the synergystic relationship between pursuing a career following your passion and your personal life.  Particularly in a path that is so flippin' competitive, it's so phenomenally important to have people who support and believe in you.

Well, some people seemed to have missed the memo.

I'm a huge fan of poking fun, joking around, jesting, teasing, joshing, what have you.  I adore a good chuckle.  But last I checked, there was a line to those friendly jabs.  "Real friends are the ones you can make fun of and they love you anyway."  Sure, to an extent.  Nobody likes the crabby patty that gets all pickle-gilled when you toss a friendly joke in their direction.  However, the phrase "Feel the room" exists for a reason.  There are some topics that are just too sensitive.  For example.

"Haha, you're a failure!"

... Um... Wow.

Don't get me wrong, I can take professional criticism.  By a professional.  Who knows what they're talking about.  And being in the world of communication, you have to be able to get a concept of what other people are thinking, what they want, what will appeal to them, etc.  Again, to a certain extent.  When I was in college, I used the only sample I had available when assessing the photographs I took at a Men's Basketball game - my peers.  The subject was seated in a half-time huddle, exhausted and defeated at the re-injuring of his ankle at the end of the second half.  His face is seen staring off low and to the left, head hanging dejectedly, front and center of the shot, framed by two black-uniformed giants on either side.

"Where does your eye go first?"


"The butts."

... *blink blink* ...

Cue the idea that these "masses" don't know what they need, lack the education or the intuition to connect concepts.  For example, when I was working at a school:
   "Can we get a shot of 5 bajillion kids in this picture?  All in focus?"
   "Um. What's the concept for this poster again?"
    "How we individualize curriculum to each student's specific needs."
    .... *facepalm* ...

I want criticism.  Constructive criticism.  Constructive, professional criticism.  I want to become a better visual communicator.  A better communicator altogether.  I want to learn.  I'm eager to don the dunce cap to be awed by the experienced veteran.

Not by my critical compadre. Television isn't real life, here folks.  Just because the characters in Friends could make fun of Joey's belly-flopping acting career doesn't mean it's a healthy technique for personal relationships.  And now I shall belly-flop off of my soap box.  Adieu.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recommendations by Engageya.com