Friday, January 4, 2013

JanTwo-Three: Prevailing

Unfortunately, the last two days I have been D-R-A-G-G-I-N-G.  Trying to couple a social life with recovering from stress fractures and fighting off some kind of cold, my energy levels are low and my focus is scattered.  But I shall prevail!

I didn't do it on purpose but it seems the theme for this week is revolving around quality time with Matt.  As cliche as it may sound/look to the outside world, those who are close to me know how different this is for me. And I really don't care how many people might cringe at the past two days of shots (no, nothing cuddly or smoochy.  Relax.)  It was a week of celebrations for us, to continue today and tomorrow. So suck it up!

JanTwo: Motivations
Part One of my Christmas Gift to Matt grew out of a comment he made while we were cooking dinner one night - that he needed more pictures of us.  So I did some digging and got a couple dozen 4x6s printed, not just of us, but also of him and his best friend, Beka, and of "his girls" - Beka and myself.  I also bought a super cheap whiteboard, so, now, it's less of a Christmas thing, and more of a keeping us  motivated thing.  Not only will it remind both of us what is important, with a super collage of photos sporting the glowing grins of his family, cards from his cousin's kids, and the promotion photo of him and Beka with their brand-spankin' new Captain insignia intact, but keep us motivated with the new healthy-living meal plan.


130103_365_3947
1.2.12 - Re-organizing and modifying Matt's fridge was part of my Christmas gift to him.  It now includes a number of cute couple-y photos of us together, as well as pictures with his bestie, Beka, a photo of his cousins' kids, his family, and - of course - Irene, in addition to my Christmas card and a whiteboard for meal plans and notes.

Photog Elements: I love my swivel Liveview. I held the camera above my head with a bounce flash for this shot.  I wanted to have that big to small line on the fridge since that kind of communicates part of the resolutions this year - simplify.



JanThree: To Another Happy and Healthy Six Months
I love food.  It's one of my affairs that I pay a lot of attention to. Last night, I finally used one of my Healthy Recipe Pins from Pinterest to cook up a six-month celebratory dinner for Matt.  I documented most of the evening, which, altogether, was a pretty simple meal.  If you're looking and thinking "Yum..." you're right.  I'll link both my Pinterest Boards and the Recipe below.


130103_365_3928
1.3.12 - I haven't completely bought into the Paleo Diet that is going around, but I am pretty close to buying into a Whole Foods based approach to food.  Considering eating Paleo is 100% whole, unprocessed foods, I've adopted some of those concepts in my cooking.  So this meal - Balsamic Chicken Bake, is all protein and veggies, with some extra flavors.

130103_365_3929
Cooking Tip: No matter what you're doing with your meat, searing the outsides, or browning on mid-high heat, helps contain the juices of the meat.  Since I baked the chicken in a ton of veggies and liquids, I browned the outsides with salt and pepper before tossing it in the oven.  I also made a mess doing it. Smiley Face.


130103_365_3931
In addition to eating healthy, I'm saving money.  Which means wasting money of fresh ingredients that will eventually rot in the crisper is a no-no. Dried Basil and Garlic Powder it is!


130103_365_3938
So simple - everything in one casserole dish, pour spiced balsamic vinegar mixture over top.


130103_365_3943
Pop in the oven at 375ish degrees for 35 mins, sprinkle with mozz cheese (not a whole food), and back in for another five. You wouldn't believe how delicious it smells.


130103_365_3950
1.3.12 - I served it up with a couple cups of green beans (frozen, cooked in microwave with garlic salt) and a side salad (I also drank some Detox Water with it as well).  Easy, healthy, light, and wonderfully delicious.
 Photog Elements:  I played with flash vs ISO a lot today - reminding myself that this challenge is a learning experience.  My conclusion is that I want to play with some other flash diffusion concepts.  So Note To Self: Diffusion. Look into it.


Check it:
Pinterest - Healthy Recipes  - Balsamic Chicken Bake (I added mozzerella Cheese and used yellow onions instead of red, since Kroger's red was looking pretty peck-ish.)

Detox Water: (I started drinking this a couple weeks ago.  I've noticed I don't retain water/weight as much when I drink it, and I feel clean... it sounds odd to FEEL clean, but I do. ) Slice 1 lemon, 2 limes, half a cucumber thinly and put in a gallon pitcher with a couple mint sprigs.  Top with ice, fill with water, and let it seep in the fridge overnight.  Or, an easier approach - Two thin slices of lemon, lime, and cucumber, lose the mint (cuz it wilts).  Put it in bottom of tall water glass, and keep re-filling water glass with ice and water throughout the day.  The juices stimulate digestion processes and kidney function.  (You're gonna pee a lot.)
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recommendations by Engageya.com